Wednesday 2 April 2014

Band Recording Plan

In this recording assignment I need to record drums, bass guitar, synth and 4x female vox. Here are some snapshots of my plan for doing it.














These pictures show my list of equipment I will need and my diagram of how it's all going to be linked to the main control room. If there are mics that are not available to use then I will have to figure which mic will best be suited for what instrument.

I have chosen the NT5 condenser microphone for recording the overheads of the drum kit and I have chosen the Audix D6 microphone for the kick drum. The reason why I have chosen these microphones for the drum kit is because they are both condenser microphone and they can pick up a higher frequency level. In the first year festival I noticed that the rode NT5s were on the overheads and the Audix D6 was inside the kick drum. So I thought these microphones will be the best for recording the drums.

I have chosen the NT1000 mic for recording vocals because I have used the microphone before and I like the clear sound it creates when someone is singing/rapping through it. When I play the vocals back it sounds clear, not muffled and bright. The NT1000 is also a condenser mic, so it will pick up a higher frequency level. If this mic is not available to use then I will use the SM58 dynamic microphone which is also good for recording vocals and doesn't require phantom power. Condenser microphones need phantom power because they can't provide their own power whereas a dynamic mic can provide it's own power and no matter how much you yell into the mic it won't get damaged, whereas if you yell into a condenser mic it will get damaged.

I have chosen the SM57 mic to record the synth. I have chosen this mic because I can rig it up and put it next to the amp where the sounds from the synth will come out of. Also it is a condenser mic, so it will pick up more frequency levels and that is what I want. The SM57 will fit in well with recording the synth because when I listen back to it, it will sound very clear and and not very distorted. If it sounds distorted I will need to put the mic further away from the amp, then that way it will sound less distorted and much more efficient. The SM57 will definitely work for recording the synth via the amp.

For the bass guitar I have chosen to use a DI box. The reason why I have chosen this piece of equipment is because it's very easy to connect and rig up to the main control room, plus the sounds from the bass will be recorded directly into the main control room. If a mic is needed to record the bass then I will use the SM57 because I can put it next to the bass amp and the bass will sound clean, bright and not distorted. The SM57 mic is the best mic to use near an amp because it is a dynamic mic, so it will pick up a higher frequency rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment