Thursday 1 May 2014

Techniques and Technology

Mixing

In the mixing process of a song you have to ensure that the listener can hear all the instruments and sounds you have used in your song. This means all the instruments have to be equally level, you don't want any instruments clipping. When an instrument is clipping it will sound very distorted and horrible to listen to. In the mixing process you have to listen very carefully to what instrument you can hear. If some instruments are too loud, you can reduce the gain, add an EQ, add a compressor or add a limiter so that it doesn't sound loud and that it's not clipping. If and instrument is too quiet turn the gain up until you can hear whatever instrument you are trying to listen to. You can also add an EQ to make the instrument not sound flat and make it sound punchy and tight. 

It is very important that you give your ears frequent breaks from what's going on in the track because sometimes your ears will become confused of what's going on in the song that you want to mix. When you are mixing a song down DO NOT look at the levels on the mixer because the levels on the mixer can deceive you. It's all about having a good pair of ears and listening carefully to what you can and can't hear. Once you have listened to the full and that it's properly and fully mixed down, you are ready to bounce and master it.

This is is one of the techniques I want to achieve because if I can mix my own songs I don't need to pay anyone to do the mixing for me. It will also show me to be a freelance worker. The way I can mix I can to mix my tracks to the best of my ability is by listening to what I can and can't hear. If the kick drum for example to too flat and not punchy, I can use an EQ to make the kick sound more punchy and more powerful. If there is too much bass on the kick I can just cut off the low frequency and this will make the kick not sound too bassy.

When I mix my tracks I will take frequent breaks so that my ears don't get exposed to too much sound or otherwise my ears will become confused on what is going on in the mix. I will also rely on my ears and not my eyes because the levels can deceive me, so it is essential for me to have good ears while mixing down I'm mixing my tracks down. I can use limitation and compression to reduce the gain on other instruments and sounds and to ensure that nothing is clipping. If and any instrument or sound is clipping this can cause distorting and this would not be very nice to listen to. The mix of the song will sound crisp, on point and not distorted and this is what the public of the public would want to listen to good quality music.

Before I can mix my own tracks down I will need to learn what mixing is and how it is done. I can do this by watching tutorials of engineers mixing down tracks, reading tips on mixing tracks and learning from my teachers that teach me about technology. Once I have got an idea of how a mixed song should sound like, I can make an attempt at mixing down my own music, this way I won't have so many problems with mixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment