Tuesday 12 November 2013

1st Recording assignment

In last tuesday's studio class I helped out with setting the microphones up and rigging them up into logic. Before I could start recording I had to change the output settings on the logic project and I ensure the instruments were heard in the live room. I also managed to rig up the microphone mixer into logic as well. I had to make sure that the that I could hear the click track that was coming from logic as well. We used the Audix D6 microphone and the SM57 microphone to record the piano and drums.

Once all of that was done we were ready to record. I was in the main room and I communicated with Liam and Kipras via the mixing desk mic. The reason I did this is because I wanted to let them know whether they could hear everything in their headphones, furthermore I told them that I was ready to record the instruments. Once they were both ready I said 'Go', pressed record and they played.

Once the recording was finished I stopped the recording. Me, Kipras, Liam and Artur listened to the recording and it was a fairly good job. There were some parts of the song that were out of time but overall it was a good start. The instruments that were recorded were drums and piano.

Once the lesson finished we saved the project, put the mixer back to it's original setting and put all the equipment back to where it came from.

In today's studio class we rigged up the microphones to record bass and synth. We used the rode microphone and the SM57 microphone to record these instruments. Once we rigged up all the microphones to the amps of the synth. We used the synth for bass and melody. After the microphones were rigged up I plugged the leads into the box that lead into the mixer in the live room. We also had to rig up the headphone mixer so that the whoever was playing an instrument can hear the click track coming from logic.

Once everything was rigged up I was ready to record Liam and Kipras. Liam was playing synth and Kipras was playing bass. I communicated with Liam and Kipras letting them know I was ready for recording. When I said go I pressed the record button and they started to play. Once I stopped the recording I told both of them to come back into the main room so that me and the rest of my group could listen back to what was recorded. The recording was not as good as we hoped it would be but there is always room for improvement.

It was coming to the end of the lesson, so I had to restore the mixer back to it's original setting and I also had to put the mics and mic stands back to there original places. We saved the project and gave a copy of it to grant so that he can mark it and then give us feedback on how me, Liam, Artur and Kipras.

No comments:

Post a Comment