Thursday 11 June 2015

Professional Roles

1) The roles I have filled in my E.P project are composer, producer, mixing and mastering engineer. I have composed, produced and mixed my E.P and I have mastered other people's music like Kipras for example. All of these roles were key roles in this project because the composer and producer roles are the key roles that compose the ideas for each track and structure the ideas into a full song. The mixing engineer role was a vital role in this project because the mixing engineer ensures that everything is balanced and is ready for the mastering phase. Finally, the mastering engineer role was very important because the mastering engineer adds the final touches to the mixed song and he/she ensures to achieve the best out of this track before it gets released on either itunes, beatport, 7digital, etc.

In this project I have worked with people from 1st yr and 2nd yr music and they're roles were singer-songwriter and performer. They're roles were important in this project as well as the other roles listed above because they were going to write the lyrics, practise their lyrics with the instrumentals I gave them and perform their properly in studio sessions I had with them. In these sessions I communicated with them telling them that I was going to record them in comping mode and I would tell them to lay backing vocals, ad libs or harmonies in whichever section in the song. I would also let them know about what's good about the recordings and I would tell them to re-record this section or another section because it was off key or not in time with the instrumental. This is how I managed to achieve the best out of the people I was working with and make the instrumental (s) sound like a proper professional song.

The roles I have filled in group recordings are technician and producer. The technician role was a very important role for me because as the technician it was my job to rig all the mics up to the equipment that was being used in those sessions and it was also important for me to make a note of which channel the mics were going into so that we wouldn't get confused with the cabling, make false errors and ensure the session (s) run smoothly. As the technician it was also important for me to un rig and put all the equipment back where I took it from as this for health and safety. As the producer it was important for me to communicate with the band I was recording and tell them when I was about to start recording them and when they must be silent before and after recording so that I can get a recording of them with no background noises and end the recording with an audio tail. It was also important for me to make the that every logic file was saved in the audio drive and labelled appropriately with the audio files copied to the project. If I didn't do any of this everything will have not gone accorded to plan.

2) I filled roles such as DJ and promoter for my events management. These roles were very important for me because if I wasn't at my event to play a 1 and half hour set or let people know about the event taking place, the event would've not gone to plan and it will have been a waste of other people's time because they would've come to enjoy the music I would be playing and they would've donated some money to charity as well. Also, if this event wasn't promoted enough there wouldn't have been many people at the event and it was important to invite as many people that were able to come along to the event. I worked on this event with Jay and the way worked around it was by what the event needed in terms of equipment, posters, fliers, venue, date, time, etc. We thought about these requirements carefully because there was no room for error and we did more than double check the list of things we needed for our event.

I have also filled roles as a live sound engineer and technician in gigs back in December, The Harrison Pub, 1st yr festival and end of year show. These roles were very vital in these shows because it was important for me to be on time for bringing equipment, rigging everything up, sound check and making sure there isn't a problem with health and safety. As a live sound engineer it was important for me to make sure levels on the mixing desk were green and make sure the equipment used in the performances were balanced. If I noticed anything that's was going above green it had to be turned down or otherwise this will cause feedback and it will make whichever instruments unbalanced. For the 1st yr festival and end of year show it took teamwork to bring all the instruments and equipment down from the music block and set it all up in the theatre.

3) I see myself in the industry as a music producer and dj. To make these roles successful I will need to make contacts with artists and session players about my projects and discussing collaborations. This will be a great way of making my music product look and sound professional because the music won't just be produced in the box and the music won't just be instrumentals. I will also need some experience as a dj and some examples of dj sets in order to get shows in clubs. It's not easy finding shows and the more experience I have the more likely I will be chosen to DJ for a show.

I will also have to contact people that do events management so they can help host and promote an E.P or album launch as this will help me get recognised by other members of the public and probably A&R representatives. Another thing I will need to do is join PRS and send music to radio stations because once I have joined PRS I earn royalties from my own music when it gets aired on radio and getting my music aired on radio is a good way for people to recognise me and other artists I have worked with and it will help my fanbase grow bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment